Archive for category Aikido
I am not much into doing New Years resolutions so instead here are some goals that I am setting for myself for 2008.
- Spend more time with my wife and kids and less on a computer. (the computer part is going to be tough)
- Make it to the dojo more often this year. I have missed more than I want to this one.
- Solve the rubik’s cube I bought yesterday 🙂 (I never could figure the thing out as a kid.)
- Continue contributing to Foresight Linux.
- Become an official Member and then Developer.
- Read more books this year.
- Get better at using emacs.
Well thats about it. Maybe since I didn’t say “lose some weight” it will actually happen. I am sure that there will be more things that I add to this list as the year goes on but this is a good start.
I have been looking forward to this for a while. My Aikido dojo has a new look and feel to the site. I attend Bluegrass Budokai and have been a student there since the doors opened. If you have any interest at all in the study of Japanese martial arts (Aikido, Judo or Iaido) then come check us out.
When I showed up to Aikido class on Saturday (3/31/07) I was surprised to find out that I would be testing for shodan (first degree black belt). It was supposed to happen a week later. I wish that I could say that I was as prepared as well as I wanted to be but I wasn’t. The test went well (other than getting very tired). Now I have to get used to practicing in a hakama.
In contrast to what a lot of people think, a black belt is a beginners rank. It means that you have reached a level of competency with the basics and you now have a platform to build upon. The study of the martial arts is a life long journey. I have only been doing this for 5.5 years and I know that I have a lot to learn.